LPB-1

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
ZK-TUI
Bronze Member

LPB-1

Post by ZK-TUI » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:02 pm

Okay, so I bought this hoping I could use it as a clean boost after reading a lot of reviews which said it could do so.

It works fine however it does crunch the sound...
This is through a MM SUB into a GK400RB.

Is it just that the pedal isn't gonna do what I want it to here?
(I tried turning down the preamp eq volumes which reduced it a bit-is my problem that I usually have the eq on 100% bass and 90% Treble (no middle indentations in the SUB)

Is there the possibility of getting it cleaner o=r am I stuck here?
(Ie could a little modding change it?)

Cheers,
ZK-TUI

irvinz
Gold Member

Re: LPB-1

Post by irvinz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:24 am

its a clean boost. but one that darkens it, and adds quite a lil bit of bass.

you may be just clipping your amp too hard.
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 pm

irvinz wrote:its a clean boost. but one that darkens it, and adds quite a lil bit of bass.

you may be just clipping your amp too hard.
I agree, I think boosting your clean as such is boosting your amp to crunch a bit try lowering your input gain some more and seeing as you like the clean sound make sure the boost knob beside the master is right down too.

Most MM S.U.B basses are passive so turning all knobs up does'nt matter.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

ZK-TUI
Bronze Member

Post by ZK-TUI » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:06 pm

My sub's one of the active ones (with the battery and such)

It isn't my amp clipping as far as I can tell coz it doesn't sound like clippin and my input gain was only on a quarter with the 10db pad on. Plus when I turned the gain down on the pedal it still did the same clipping....

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 pm

100% boost on your bass knob is too much for most amps and effects. It's using up your headroom at a rapid rate of knots, apart from which it's likely to give you a big woofy onstage sound. With all due respect, basses usually sound best with minimal eq-ing, eq should be a tweak, not a major sound component. If you feel you really need that much, I suggest there are other things happening in your setup that aren't working together well. Just my opinion, based on 30+ years of playing in bands.

Pablo Basso
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Not active

Post by Pablo Basso » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:44 pm

I agree with you, Marty. After a long break from playing, I have been rethinking my EQ settings. I used to scoop the EQ excessively, full bass, plus bass boost, wound back mids, cut presence, and boosted treble. Not now. Using a flatter eq I can now hear the sound of the instrument as it was meant to be. Also, the LPB-1, is that by Electro-Harmonix?. I used to have an EH LPB2 preamp pedal, bought from Kingsley-Smith Music in Customs St, Auckland, about 1985. Don't know what happened to it, cost me heaps.
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, 1978 HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, 1985 Jansen Crusader 220 Magnum head, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2x TL606 cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.

ZK-TUI
Bronze Member

Post by ZK-TUI » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Yeah, eh. $50 of eBay.
It's not like super distorting sorta adding a bit of fuzz...

I don't want to use full eq but the lack of middle indent for the knobs like in the rays is restrictive and hence if someone plays with it I would be able to set it straight away-kinda annoying I know.
Whenever I've used a ray in like rs I have just slightly boosted bass and cut a tad treble etc...

I'll test it at my next band practice to see how the pedal operates in a band situation but I think I'm warming up to it