Wall of Sound with definition

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
gordonpitcairn

Wall of Sound with definition

Post by gordonpitcairn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:33 am

Morning all. Im currently experimenting with wall of sound on the bass. Our band at certain parts of songs, cranks it up BIG time, and Im using the Boss Bass ODB3 pedal so its between growling deep chainsaw and tear your face off fuzz.
What Im looking for is something to give it an undercurrent of character, like something sonic that defines and adds some tone or modulation underneath. The effect that I eventually add would be secondary in level to the OD but clearly audible underneath.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??? I dont want anything too far out or spacey cos that would detract from the fact that during these parts in the music my bass kinda acts like a big fat rhythm guitar. Just something to enhance and add interest.
My style is pretty basic, pumping root notes if that helps any.

Anyway, your thoughts would be most welcome.

g

StraitjacketJames
Bronze Member

Re: Wall of Sound with definition

Post by StraitjacketJames » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:06 am

Hmm, I suppose it depends whether you want a compact pedal, or a big board. Boards have more variety, but are harder to take around, and some are harder to power - 2 9Vs instead of 1.

gordonpitcairn

Post by gordonpitcairn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:37 am

A compact or a twin would suit. I have room on my pedal board for a couple more. I have my clean(ish) sound sorted and accessed through the Boss LS2 in my setup, but just need to put that cherry on the top of my aggressive chain.
I am also in the rare and fortunate position of being able to take pedals home for the weekend from my two local music stores to try out with no obligation being a long time customer.
So, pretty much any suggestion is a possibility. I know the old adage is "try something and if you like it, use it", but thoughts from other musos out there may send me down a path I hadn't thought of...

g

joppo

Post by joppo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi Gordon. Welcome to the site. Have you thought about some delay or tremelo? Don't know if it would suit your style or not, but a digital delay can give a cool textured wall of sound. Check out the bass in "One of these days" by Pink Floyd. The first part is delay (about 7 echos and a 300msec delay) and if you cut your notes short you get some notes to reinforce other and somtimes not just playing quarter notes. I think it switches to tremelo for the second part.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Love the bass in that video joppo,I had never considered a delay effect myself , but after watching that its on my wish list.

gordonpitcairn

Post by gordonpitcairn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Cheers for the welcome!!!
That delay sounds awesome. My only fear is that adding a delay after a huge overdriven distortion/fuzz in the loop would swallow the notes and make a muddy mess. I have a Boss DD6 that Ill try with it though.

To give you more of an idea of the overdrive/distortion I want to enhance, here is a song by New Plymouth locals Sticky Filth. Whilst this isnt the style of music we play, the bass sound at the beginning is a rough example of what I'm playing with, only more fuzz and noise. Have a listen to that and youll see what I want to add too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ3VjU_pHFI

Hope that link works.

g