Looking for a Pedal to go after my Boss ODB

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
gordonpitcairn

Looking for a Pedal to go after my Boss ODB

Post by gordonpitcairn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:40 am

Hi there. I’m looking for suggestions for a pedal to go after my Boss ODB Overdrive on my “dirty” loop. I’ve got a nice deep tone from my amp and heaps of bottom end from the ODB but I’m wanting to “fine tune” the tone of the overdrive and the basic tone control on the ODB isn’t comprehensive enough. Would I be simply looking for an EQ pedal or is there something more suitable that does this and more???

Thoughts appreciated.

g

zero
Silver Member

Re: Looking for a Pedal to go after my Boss ODB

Post by zero » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:43 am

I'm guessing an EQ, but what sort of 'fine tuning' are you after? I'm not sure you're going to be able to do too much with the ODB - it really only sounds one way.

gordonpitcairn

Post by gordonpitcairn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Something that I can boost the mids with I guess to ensure that the bass "speaks out" a bit more from the general chaos of two guitars and a drummer.

g

zero
Silver Member

Post by zero » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 pm

In my experience with the ODB, the best thing to do is spend a while making it sound ugly. The sound I use at the moment (and sorta on the album) sounds pretty foul on its own, but it suits the mix really well.

Using an EQ pedal might get what you want, I've not used one with the ODB. I do just suspect though that it's gonna get exponentially more difficult to get a sound you're happy with as you add more frequency controls in this situation. The better bet might be doing some counter-intuitive stuff with the ODB first, including not having it in the loop etc...