Compressors...

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
Willbot
Bronze Member

Compressors...

Post by Willbot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting a compressor pedal. I want a bit more punch to my sound, and also have the switchable ability to level out peaks in my playing (when slapping etc), and level out/make more consistent other passages.

So far, I've seen three compressors that have caught my eye.

*3 Leaf Audio PWNZORI'm
*MXR M87 Bass compressor
*Redwitch Seven Sisters 'Grace' (pitched more at the electric guitar market, but worth a go maybe?)

The MXR seems to be the most adjustable of the three. While the PWNZOR and 'Grace' seem to be more straight forward (Grace being the simplest - 2 knobs). All of them have had decent reviews.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these pedals, or has any other recommendations? I should add that I'm not wanting to break the bank (I'm a student) and second hand is probably my first port of call. So reliability/durability is a definite influencing factor.

Cheers!
G&L USA L2000, Ashdown ABM Evo II C210T, Ashdown ABM Evo II 410H Cab

brando28

Re: Compressors...

Post by brando28 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 pm

I use the MXR Bass compressor and can recommend it. The compression meter is really handy.
I got it new, and shipped from the mad ape, for way less than it retails in New Zealand

Willbot
Bronze Member

Post by Willbot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Cheers, Brando

Had a look on the site... Quite a selection! I've read that the MXR doesn't really add any colour to your sound, that it's more of a 'clinical' compressor... Would you agree with this? What have your impressions been?

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:49 pm

for awesome reviews,

http://www.ovnilab.com

bass specific i have owned the barge concepts rc-2 which i loved, the diamond which i loved, and currently own a pwnzor. which i reckon is pretty awesome.

my favourite cost specific wise is the rc-2, i sold it off looking for a rc-3 which they started building, but they closed up before i could place an order.

at the end of the day, are you getting it for the squishy funky effects, or a actual compressor per se. :) thats an important role to what you get it for. the bbe opto stomp is also a very transparent option and worth a look at.

as you can see that most of the compressors mentioned are optical compressors,which seems to work for me,gotta find one you prefer :)

i currently own the pwnzor because it does what i need, slight compression, some tone enhancement and is capable of the squishy/effects like sounds when it is needed.
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 pm

I use a plain and simple Boss LMB-3 ,does all I need compression wise,gets a good review in the above link irvinz posted,and they are reasonably cheap.
I should add all my pedals are Boss,so I will be unashamedly biased in my opinion. :wink:

Willbot
Bronze Member

Post by Willbot » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks for all your input guys.

I have finally ventured into the world of effects! Have just bought a MXR M87 Compressor and 3 Leaf Audio envelope filter off Trademe this evening.

Having done my research, I think these will compliment each other well, and additionally work well with my guitar set up too.

Very keen to get jamming and familiarise myself with the new toys before my next gig.

Will let you know what I think of both pedals in due course!

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 am

Good job :) was the filter off from tony in any chance? He has one for sale up here just recently :)

Willbot
Bronze Member

Post by Willbot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:04 am

It was off a guy up in Auckland through Trademe.

It was their original groove regulator.

I'm still keen on the Enabler, Irvin. The old bank account has taken a hit with these purchases though. I'm tossing up whether it's a good idea to use my amp's in built DI for my upcoming gig (11th May) or bite the bullet and buy the Enabler.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:17 pm

slappinyaface wrote:It was off a guy up in Auckland through Trademe.

It was their original groove regulator.

I'm still keen on the Enabler, Irvin. The old bank account has taken a hit with these purchases though. I'm tossing up whether it's a good idea to use my amp's in built DI for my upcoming gig (11th May) or bite the bullet and buy the Enabler.

that may, or may not be my first groove regulator. wonder where it where i sold it. haha. i still have one of the original runs. not sure if i can sell it, ever :)

The enabler kicks butt out of most amp DIs. Tho the Ashdown is quite decent, the enabler is still way superior, low noise, additional tone control. That said i am biased :) (i also used to sell ashdowns for a living! haha)

anyway, the enabler is in auckland waiting for you if you are keen.

brando28

Post by brando28 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:47 pm

slappinyaface wrote:Cheers, Brando

Had a look on the site... Quite a selection! I've read that the MXR doesn't really add any colour to your sound, that it's more of a 'clinical' compressor... Would you agree with this? What have your impressions been?
Hi, Sorry for the late reply.
I'd say that is pretty accurate, up until the point you start to really squash then that will colour, as usual.
I like mine, don't ever have it turned off. The meter adds to it as well, really gives a good indication on where compression is happening. I am sure you already know all this by now.

Cheers

Willbot
Bronze Member

Post by Willbot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 pm

It still hasn't turned up yet.

Emailed the guy off trademe and he hasn't responded.

I hope I get it soon, otherwise I will be getting a bit frustrated.

:evil:

I'm sure looking forward to messing around with it when it does eventually arrive, however!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Tue May 07, 2013 6:51 pm

update ?

Willbot
Bronze Member

Post by Willbot » Mon May 13, 2013 4:35 pm

The MXR arrived the day after I posted my frustrated wee message.

So, I gigged with it on Sat night. Really cool! I'm still getting to grips/messing around with it. But it's very customisable. The LED gain reduction meter is VERY helpful. I was able to dial in a nice 'punchy' setting. Which is what I needed for the night. It's one of those pedals I think will keep showing it's worth via the discovery of new cool settings. Sadly, that all takes time, but, that's all part of the fun of it.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Mon May 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Glad it all worked out for ya and your happy with it :D

brando28

Post by brando28 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Let us know some settings you like.