Does anyone use a separate / external EQ pedal?

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Does anyone use a separate / external EQ pedal?

Post by Mr Bass Man » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:49 pm

I'm thinking of getting an EQ pedal to use with my amp, but not sure if it will do what I need / want - or whether it is what I need

I've got a Fender rumble v3 500w combo and it's great - I never have to have the volume above 3 on stage and we always DI from the back of the amp to FOH
Problem is Drummer complains he cannot hear my individual notes clearly and keeps on asking me to 'clear up' my sound on stage
So at last weekends’ gig we had plenty of time to set up / sound check and I spent quite a while playing with the EQ on my amp and although the 'bass' eq knob was turned down to below half (about 11 o'clock) the sound on stage was pretty good, but through the FOH my bass sounded like an acoustic bass....
Drummer (chief sound engineer) played around with the EQ on the bass channel on the desk and when he turned the bass EQ knob up it started ringing out front, so we tried a few different settings, but it just didn’t sound ‘bassy’ enough to me

Guitarist suggested I get an EQ pedal – and said I can have the EQ straight up and down on my amp and on the channel on the desk – and just use the EQ pedal to control the overall EQ…. I’m pretty sure my amp is post EQ because if I adjust the EQ / volume on my amp it affects FOH

What do you guys think?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

john
Gold Member

Re: Does anyone use a separate / external EQ pedal?

Post by john » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:34 pm

So there are two issues going on here.
1. You are not clear enough for the drummer.
He does realise bass amps sound very different from beside the amp to out front, eh? Maybe you could try setting up you amp as a side fill so it's at the side of the stage facing in. That way he will hear all the highs and high mids that he wouldn't normally hear from beside the amp.

2. Because you are Eq'ing your amp to suit his stage audio needs and you going post EQ the front sound it suffering
I'd suggest trying pre eq on the DI and then see how it sounds through the PA and mess around with the desks eq if it needs it, before you go buying more equipment.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:17 am

Drummer as Chief Sound Engineer seems the first issue.

Yes I use 2 EQ pedals live. One for a low dub heavy, another for a 'solo bright' thing. I tend to go with what I like. I've been to lots of gigs and been told I have to 'brighten up' tone wise and "dude your strings are dead". This is a problem with flatwounds :lol:

Do you like your tone? Yes or no
Is it more important to you how you feel or your drummer?
you can't hear FOH so be 100% with your stage tone
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:28 am

thanks for the replies.
My amp doesn't have the option to select post or pre eq when using the DI - just has the DI and a ground lift button next to it
when I adjust the volume or tone on the amp it does affect the mix out front so that's what lead me to believe the DI is post EQ (I could read the manual to find out though)
Drummer was worried because he had recorded a couple of our last gigs on the go-pro camera and said the bass is not clear enough / defined.
I changed my strings before last saturdays gig and he recorded the gig, so I'm not sure if that was any better out front.

Yes the drummer has the PA / Mixing desk next to him and often during gigs he will do 'one handed' drumming as he adjusts something on the PA! Frustrates me sometimes, but if he's not happy with the sound he is hearing, or singer wants more vox in the monitors or something then he will adjust it - usually midway through a song - hence the one armed drumming!

I've never been one to use effect pedals - I just get a good sound on stage from my amp and DI to the desk

I'll ask drummer at this weekends gig if the bass sounded any better to him on the recording of the last gig
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:10 pm

My 2 cents as your fellow Rumble 500 combo worshiper ,whether this is a viable option for you instead of an external EQ I don't know.
First up the Rumbles inbuilt DI never interested me to start with, in fact all the amps I've ever owned are tarred with that same brush.

As you use your own PA like us I thought you might be interested in my waffle.....
To me a half decent desk should be able to EQ a good bass signal with ease,shouldn't it ?

I always use my own external DI and done so 99% of the time since dot.
Been using the Zoom B3 DI for ages now,very pleasing FOH output. But my old el cheapo Leem DI box does just as good a job in all reality.
Sit the DI at the end of my effects (waffle train) chain with cannon out to desk. Soundcheck it properly, set it and store it...brain if able or write it down like me.
FOH signal is nearly always the same so getting a comfortable on stage sound is more our guys duty,we try to, and almost actually communicate, even using sign language, and of course a few tequilas and the odd upraised finger along the way help get the job done...last half hour always sounds awesome.

Simple external DI ? worth a try ?

joppo

Post by joppo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:29 pm

I've got the same setup as Pins - I use the DI in a Zoom B3 pedal off to the PA and take a separate line to my amp/monitor. And like Pins said, a straight DI with no amp modelling would probably do just as well, but I like using the B3 because it has a cab sim which sends (in my mind anyway) a nice signal to the desk.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks Pins
I don't think it is a problem with the amps DI... but to rule out the problem I might use my behringer DI that I bought about 2 years ago to use with my previous amp at the next gig... although from memory last time I used it there was a lot of 'hissing / static' coming through FOH, even though ground lift switch was on - and I get no unwanted noises coming through FOH using the rumbles DI
But I'll give it a try and see if that changes anything

Drummer put more mids in my bass channel last night and put the gain up a bit and we recorded the gig, so will be interesting to see if that makes a difference. I put my head right near the top bin and it sounded really good.

I did get a bit shitty with the drummer last night though.... we set up during 1st half of rugby and at half time did a 3 min sound check and everything was sweet.
We started straight after the game and 1st song was good, then drummer starts f***ing with the desk and something stats ringing out front... singer asks for more vox in monitors and then they start feeding back so after 4th song drummer stops and spends about 2 mins fiddling with the EQ on the desk to sort out why his kick drum is ringing.... and the only way it stops ringing is to lower the gain slightly on the kick drum channel... singer yells at him to leave the desk alone and put it back as it was, but we wasted 2 mins.....
He's a really good drummer / singer / sound engineer (his PA) but he hears things differently behind the drums that what myself / guitarist and singer hear on stage and out front!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Working with him sounds unnecessarily painful lol.

Good luck with your sound