Tech21 Sansamp Bass driver - Love 'em or hate 'em?

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
john
Gold Member

Re: Tech21 Sansamp Bass driver - Love 'em or hate 'em?

Post by john » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

I had a go on joppos VT pedal yesterday.

I could see it, with a power amp and cab being all you need, it was really quite versatile. I found the character knob quite useful.

I really don't need gas at this time of year :)

joppo

Post by joppo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Yep - John's P-bass with flats and the VT pedal were a pretty sweet combination

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:14 am

joppo wrote:
beagle wrote:What was the new pedal that you got joppo?
No, I've got an Aguilar Tone Hammer coming. Irvinz had one and was really rapt with it. Sadly it hasn't arrived yet - it arrived a couple of hours late to be brought over from the US by my in-laws, so it is now in the post somewhere between the States and NZ

what happen to the tone hammer tho? didn't do it for you? :)
still using mine... which means wow! lasted me over two years already.

that said, I'm gonna start selling 3leafaudio gear soon, just to keep up my interest in the bass side of stuff 'productive'. gonna be excited to try the enabler, the stuff spencer has designed and built, are really something. at least with the filters I've tried/owned so far
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

joppo

Post by joppo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:00 pm

irvinz wrote: what happen to the tone hammer tho? didn't do it for you? :)
Still got the tone hammer and it is still getting plenty of love, Irv :D I think they compliment each other quite well. They can both add warmth and saturation really well, although with different character. The VT bass is really light, small, and is 9 volt so I can use the same power supply as my tuner. The tone hammer is ideal for going ampless and for recording (clean and affected tone at the same time). It is built like a tank (built from a tank?), but it heavy and needs the 18 volt power supply or phantom power. Love them both and can't think about doing without either of them. Or maybe I'm just a hoarder :wink:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:08 pm

You're definitely a hoarder

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:47 am

joppo wrote:
irvinz wrote: what happen to the tone hammer tho? didn't do it for you? :)
Still got the tone hammer and it is still getting plenty of love, Irv :D I think they compliment each other quite well. They can both add warmth and saturation really well, although with different character. The VT bass is really light, small, and is 9 volt so I can use the same power supply as my tuner. The tone hammer is ideal for going ampless and for recording (clean and affected tone at the same time). It is built like a tank (built from a tank?), but it heavy and needs the 18 volt power supply or phantom power. Love them both and can't think about doing without either of them. Or maybe I'm just a hoarder :wink:
heh. i power my tone hammer off my pitch black :lol: i think you are a hoarder... lol. still have a shuttle as well?
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

joppo

Post by joppo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:29 am

irvinz wrote:heh. i power my tone hammer off my pitch black :lol: i think you are a hoarder... lol. still have a shuttle as well?
Ummmm... if I say yes, it will just confirm the outrageous accusations made by you and John :lol:

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:25 am

I've used the VT and Leeds a bunch, pretty cool but one thing that always bothered me was they can be a bit harsh and clanky in the top end (especially the VT). Last night I realized I was always going through my TU2 first, tried going straight in and suddenly all the harshness went away. Can't believe I didn't think of this sooner!

Assumed it was the buffer screwing with the impedance, tried a few other buffered pedals in front and same deal, so at least with my bass it sounds waaaaay better going straight in.

joppo

Post by joppo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 pm

So what does the Leeds sound like Timi? Where do you use it?

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:28 pm

If you've got a shitty amp, the Tech21 Sansamp Bass driver is a blessing. I had a Fender BX300C years ago which was the crapiest amp I'd ever ended up with ( long story ), but the Tech21 Sansamp made it sound 'not too shabby'.

In addition I found it useful as a DI at times and at odd gigs even just used that as my pre-amp, to gooed effect.

With my current rig, I never need it, but I would never sell it....just in case :mrgreen:
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:54 am

joppo wrote:So what does the Leeds sound like Timi? Where do you use it?
Based on a Hiwatt rather than Ampeg but it sounds pretty similar to the VT, just a bit smoother in the top end and not as scoopy, but you probably couldn't pick it in the context of a mix.

I've "got my tone" on the pedal by running it into my recording setup to make sure I'm getting something comparable to miking an amp, then I can use the eq on my GK to make sure it works on stage but generally it's pretty flat. Definitely works best direct or with a fairly transparent head, it gets a bit over the top with my Orange.

Awesome for recording demos, but for proper recordings I've chosen it over a real amp on a few occasions.

blue

Post by blue » Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Thought I'd add my 10c to this.

I've gone through:

- Sansamp programmable bass DI
- Orange TB500 head
- Aguilar TH500 head (essentially a tone hammer preamp with a power amp section)
- VT Bass
- 3 or 4 basses

trying to find the distortion tone that I had in my head. I occasionally got it with one of the basses and the programmable sansamp but it was hit and miss.

Finally, a p bass and sansamp vt bass nailed it perfectly (with heaps of adjustability either side to let me compensate for rooms, cabinets etc. when gigging).

I know there is a lot of hate around but for me, I found my sound and it was in a $200 box. Score!

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri May 09, 2014 12:58 pm

The new(ish) VT Bass DI is pretty cool, particularly how they've added the independent bite button (rather than having that treble boost as part of the speaker sim) along with a blend control and an XLR out. Sold my Leeds to buy one, really liking it.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat May 24, 2014 9:42 am

Yeah they're pretty good those new ones eh Timi.
I got one too, take it on the road with me. Great sound both live and recorded, and can indeed make your a bass amp come alive.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification