HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
User avatar
Hungus Maximist
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Orkland

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by Hungus Maximist » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:23 pm

model.citizen wrote:it's the 2nd series, mid-sized silver job with 3 chrome knobs, a midrange switch on the back and two internal trimpots (presence and "splatter"/tightness). got it on tardme for $90 so an absolute steal...though a steal at RRP too i reckon.
That's quite a nice steal.

Just wanting to know what other pedals you use and through what sort of setup? Oh yea, what sort of music do you whack out?

User avatar
model.citizen
Gold Member
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:43 am
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo
Location: auckland

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by model.citizen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:22 am

usually a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 (sometimes a Danelectro hodad) into a Markbass TA503 into either a slot-ported 1x12 (for practise) or a livesound 8x10 (for gigs).

i used to run a pedalboard with 6-10 pedals on it, but didn't find enough use for all effects...also earlier bands were a little less heavy so bass effects could shine through the mix where required. been through a whole plethora of phasers, fuzzboxes, delays, etc...luckily the days when things could be picked up cheap on tardme or at the local cash converters.

these days we're cranking out kinda sludgey progressive rock/metal (instrumental at this stage as we're having a hell of a time finding a singer who can actually bring something to the table), so i've cut back what i'm using to generally:

boss tu2 tuner
o/d unit (vt bass or tube zone currently)
delay (korg dynamic echo or an artec analog delay)
sometimes a phaser/flanger/chorus/env filter

at the moment trying to cut down to what i really need - a 3-4 pedal board is all i really require for current band work, tho i have a shitload of pedals setup on another board at home for solo noodling and such.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

User avatar
definite
Gold Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:06 pm
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS
Location: Kaikohe
Contact:

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by definite » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Ok so I just trialled a Hotcake on bass and while I can say that iwas by no means *BANNED* and didnt lose any bass freq, it wasnt standout enough to want to add one to my pedal board!

Also, without any tone or EQ control (just level, gain and prescence) theres not enough tone shaping ability for my liking

User avatar
timi
Gold Member
Posts: 847
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by timi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:43 pm

I find the Hotcake very dependent on what you are running into it (more so than other OD pedals). On some basses I love the way it sounds, on others I hate it. I've never tried the actual bass version/bass mode though.

I can never stress this enough, if you do not like the sound of overdrive through horns DO NOT DI directly out of an overdrive pedal. The Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive is $100, sounds great on bass, and has a second output with a speaker sim on it which is useful if you insist on using a DI.

User avatar
definite
Gold Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:06 pm
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS
Location: Kaikohe
Contact:

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by definite » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:50 pm

So the Digitech Bad Monkey is $100 RRP new? Who stocks Digitech BTW?

User avatar
john
Gold Member
Posts: 2307
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 5:10 pm
Location: wellington

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by john » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:12 pm

definite wrote:So the Digitech Bad Monkey is $100 RRP new? Who stocks Digitech BTW?
I saw one at the rockshop

User avatar
Hungus Maximist
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Orkland

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by Hungus Maximist » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:11 pm

timi wrote:I find the Hotcake very dependent on what you are running into it (more so than other OD pedals). On some basses I love the way it sounds, on others I hate it. I've never tried the actual bass version/bass mode though.
Very true, it's all a bit of hit and miss really. The usual case is, you won't really know what it sounds like until you've bought it home and whipped it through your own rig.

On the other note, Definite made a good point on the Hotcake being limited in tonal options (as it only has 3 knobs) and the same applies for the MI Audio Blue pro overdrive (remember that they're all guitar orientated pedals). What I've found is that the overdrive pedals that are designed specifically for bass usually has more knobs and switches for a better range of tonal varieties. I was thinking to myself it would be a smart move to get an equalizer pedal going at the same time with the Blues pro overdrive, just gives that extra accessibility without having to run back to the amp and shift my EQ.
timi wrote: I can never stress this enough, if you do not like the sound of overdrive through horns DO NOT DI directly out of an overdrive pedal.
Not exactly sure what you meant here? :? When you say horns, do you mean 'tweeters'?

irvinz
Gold Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:01 pm

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by irvinz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:40 pm

Hungus Maximist wrote:
timi wrote: What I've found is that the overdrive pedals that are designed specifically for bass usually has more knobs and switches for a better range of tonal varieties.
greetings from malaysia. nah bro. not all of em have more knobs and switches, your just thinking of the one that i have =) didnt have time to reply you as it was a crazy few days. its with a mate of mine on the shore atm.
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

User avatar
definite
Gold Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:06 pm
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS
Location: Kaikohe
Contact:

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by definite » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:20 pm

timi wrote:
The Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive is $100, sounds great on bass, and has a second output with a speaker sim on it which is useful if you insist on using a DI.
Does this pedal suck ones tone ie. is it necessary to have it in a loop or is it good to go as is? Im keen as to try one out =)

User avatar
timi
Gold Member
Posts: 847
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by timi » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Hungus Maximist wrote:
timi wrote: I can never stress this enough, if you do not like the sound of overdrive through horns DO NOT DI directly out of an overdrive pedal.
Not exactly sure what you meant here? :? When you say horns, do you mean 'tweeters'?
Yeah, except tweeters are usually not found in bass cabs or PA systems they are usually horns.
irvinz wrote:
Hungus Maximist wrote:
timi wrote: What I've found is that the overdrive pedals that are designed specifically for bass usually has more knobs and switches for a better range of tonal varieties.
greetings from malaysia. nah bro. not all of em have more knobs and switches, your just thinking of the one that i have =) didnt have time to reply you as it was a crazy few days. its with a mate of mine on the shore atm.
What the hell, I never said that.

irvinz
Gold Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:01 pm

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by irvinz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:51 am

whoops sorry timi. i think i deleted the wrong stuff when getting the quotes. sorry bro! that must be hungus's words.

hey hungus. do you still have my email? if you see this? im back in auckland soon. and have something you might be interested in
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

MikeeR
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by MikeeR » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm

I recently tested the double hotcake at the rockshop for bass and thought that was pretty awesome... I was after a bit more drive so I could set one as a nice OD and the 2nd as a big distortion tho. I alose had the opportunity to compare the regular hotcake against my crowther prunes and custard and I thought the prunes had much more balls and less bass loss. It also has more available drive on it if you need it and has the same LF switch on the top of the unit. It also has a 'Mix' control so you can add in that wacky auto wah/fuzz synth sound (personsally I leave it nearly off). i would definitly reccomend you try a prunes and custard before you buy a hotcake.
Fractal Theory - Prog/Ambient/Noise/Metal
Basin City - Folk/Alternative/Rock
Wishing for a Trace V-Series...

Post Reply