Comment My Pedal Board

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
showking
Bronze Member

Comment My Pedal Board

Post by showking » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:09 pm

This is basically my current set up.
Please give me any comments about it. (pedal order, suggestions, opinions, etc)

Dan

Re: Comment My Pedal Board

Post by Dan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:32 pm

Excuse my ignorance, as I'm not really a user of effects or anything....but wouldn't you want to go into the preamp first?

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:00 pm

er, possibly.

I'd go into the Sado, then OD,VT, Chorus.

I don't have a VT or even tried one though. there's not really a "proper" way SK, just what is best for your ears.
I always have my OD before the Limiter if that is any help though...

showking
Bronze Member

Post by showking » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:05 pm

Dan wrote:Excuse my ignorance, as I'm not really a user of effects or anything....but wouldn't you want to go into the preamp first?
i use the preamp last because it adds the preamp effect onto the previous effects.
if i use the preamp first, the rest of the effects sound unaffected by the preamp.

also, the DI capabilities of the preamp will take the previous effects to the PA or mixer if the preamp was last.
if the preamp was first, it will only take the bass to the PA or mixer and the effects won't come out of the PA or mixer.

joppo

Post by joppo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:12 pm

Dan wrote:Excuse my ignorance, as I'm not really a user of effects or anything....but wouldn't you want to go into the preamp first?
I don't use effects either so I wouldn't know anything about the order you use them. I assume it does make a difference which order you use use them does it?

What struck me about you rig was that you have it going through three lots of EQ (VT, Sado, amp) and adding colour at each point. I thought that you might be using the Sado as a DI which was why it was last thing before the amp. Do you run the EQ on the Sado and amp really flat - I mean are you using the sado just as a DI box or are you adding colour there as well?

showking
Bronze Member

Post by showking » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:30 am

joppo wrote:
I don't use effects either so I wouldn't know anything about the order you use them. I assume it does make a difference which order you use use them does it?

What struck me about you rig was that you have it going through three lots of EQ (VT, Sado, amp) and adding colour at each point. I thought that you might be using the Sado as a DI which was why it was last thing before the amp. Do you run the EQ on the Sado and amp really flat - I mean are you using the sado just as a DI box or are you adding colour there as well?
Hey that's a good question and here's my opinion:

On the amp, I have the EQ set to where I think the tone is pretty good, which is style2 (slight mid scoop) with slight boost on bass and treble (about 1-2 o'clock) and the mid knob is set flat (12 o'clock). this gives me a basic tone i like.

the sadowsky before the amp, the 2 band EQ is boosted which gives me a high and low boost. in a band setting, adding the sadowsky made a COMPLETE difference to the way my bass sounds in the mix. i don't need to turn up the volume of my amp to be loud enough. all i need to do is turn on the sadowsky. the sadowsky EQ frequencies are different to the EQ frequencies of the amp.

lastly the VT bass is basically set to a 70's ampeg SVT 8x10 tone. it just makes my entire sound as if i'm playing thru an amp that has a lot of guts and greater tone. the EQ just helps simulate the sound of the SVT 8x10.

Regarding the use of the Sadowsky at the end, it colours the sound of all the effects before it. eg. the overdrive which is first, sounds bigger and better when the sadowsky after it is colouring the sound of the overdrive.
I'm not using the sadowsky as a DI at the moment but if i had to, having the sadowsky at the end means i have the option to do so.

Thanks

MetalliBass
Bands / Groups: Crillic, Boulevard & Crotch Punch

Post by MetalliBass » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:43 pm

Does it matter what order pedals are in if you run them through the effects loop on the amp?
ESP Ltd B50
Fender Rumble 100 1x15
Electro Harmonix Russian Big Muff
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez LU-20 Stage Tuner
DR Low-Riders 45-105

showking
Bronze Member

Post by showking » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:22 am

MetalliBass wrote:Does it matter what order pedals are in if you run them through the effects loop on the amp?
yes it does. running it thru the effects loop bypasses the amp's preamp whereas running the effects into the bass input, it adds the colour of the amp's preamp.
running thru the effects loop will give u the natural sound of the effect but others may prefer the sound of the colouration of the amp preamp on the effect.
i personally run it direct into the amp.