Boss distortion

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
ZK-TUI
Bronze Member

Boss distortion

Post by ZK-TUI » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:59 pm

I really want that fuzz noise which Flea uses from time to time as well as the Muse bassist.
I know that Flea uses a BOSS ODB-3. Muse use a DS-1.
I am thinking of buying a second hand DS-1 off Trademe just to get a similar sound (doesn't need to be identical). Would it work fine with my P-Bass?

Thanks,
Tui

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Boss distortion

Post by foal30 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:07 pm

well the Boss you mention is an OVERDRIVE pedal and you imply you want FUZZ which some (potentially trainspotters :) ) will say are two different things.

I also never knew Flea used the ODB-3 and I would seriously doubt that one pedal equals "the sound".
there is a great review online available for the Boss ODB-3 :)
check this sites review section

also some would say that two pick up Bass intrinsically work better for fuzz/dirt/OD/distortion tones.
this is not to say it will not work with a P Bass, just that it may be "better" on something else.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

and with any luck Timi will be along presently to hold forth. He has tried a lot of this sort of stuff out.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:11 pm

hmmm...... muse bassist... thinks of muff and deep impacts....
flea..... not even going there.

yeah, those pedals mentioned will work fine with a p-bass, and lose lots of low end.

try the bass big muff. played one at work, and its nothing but sweet. the only nicer 'similar' sounding one i played was a tonebender clone with some funny tranny inside. the muff with wicker is sweet too, plays awesome along on an amp, but i think it would get loss to much in the mix.
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

ZK-TUI
Bronze Member

Post by ZK-TUI » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:28 am

cheers for your replies.
I will buy it as a cheap substitute (tax refunds...) if I don't like it or want it I can on sell it to my friend who is a guitar player... :lol:

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 am

I wouldnt recommend the Boss ODB pedal - I owned one and its too much mid-scoop and 'buzzy' type overdrive. Mind you, that was with an active bass so it may be better for passive.

Beware of judging the distortion on its own - you may get it sounding sweet but 'will it cut through with the band' is an equally important factor to assess!

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:59 pm

I find it really hard to get a good light drive tone with a P Bass, all that low mid makes it sound really driven on a lot of pedals even on minimum gain. DS1 has this problem with a P bass, but if you want heavier drive it's fine. It's also a bit hit or miss on bass, it really changes your tone and you might not fit into the mix of your band properly using one.

The Boss OSB3 really isn't an overdrive, much more of a distortion. It's kinda similar to a DS1 but with clean blend and 2 band eq. Lots of people hate this pedal, but then again lots of people love Sansamp Bass Drivers so you really can't trust what anyone says. Try one out so long as you don't just want a pedal for subtle drive.

I really like Tubescreamers on bass although they do cut some low end. If you leave it on the whole time you can just boost some lows on your amp but if you want to switch between clean and drive it might not work so well. The Digitech Bad Monkey is also a cool pedal on bass (has a speaker sim output, handy for those who like to DI but not sound like a can of bees). I also rate the Proco Rat on bass.

I say this way too often but for the love of Satan DO NOT DI straight out of a distortion or overdrive pedal without a speaker sim. Nobody wants to hear your buzzsaw tone raping their ears.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:18 pm

I prefer the Boss ODB-3 on the P bass than the Jazz.
sounds good with a plectrum and there is no loss of mids at all.

with the Boss ODB-3 you need to piss around with Balance to even out how much "Bass Guitar" signal is "going through". This still may sound like pants, the point is a bit of time working with it I beleive it possible to get some OK sounds on a P Bass.