Vector Arena - Got a 'Sound' solution?

Anything not specifically related to Bass
beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Vector Arena - Got a 'Sound' solution?

Post by beagle » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:38 pm

Excuse the bad pun... couldn't help myself. :oops:
Who'd like vent their anger, frustration or misguided satisfaction at the pathetic sound in Aucklands wonderous new 'sound stadium'?
Heaps of my mates have been complaining about the sound at the various concerts that have been held since it opened.
I for one was very dissapointed with not being able to hear much of Freddie Washintons bass at the Steely Dan concert last month despite being in a pretty good spot.
Does anyone know what they are going to do improve it? Is it the sound system(s)? The large flat surfaces? The roof? The politicians? The terrorists?
BTW: I have it on good authority that Mayor Banksy is a keen bass player and will be reading everything you post here ;)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Vector Arena - Got a 'Sound' solution?

Post by foal30 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Banks can read?
I know the people who voted for him can't!

Vector... never been comrade but the reports that make it to this end of the country are nearly all bad.
I did see a news article that implied that it is only "half built"
but I suggest this was around the time of the RHCP gigs...which might be 6 months ish back? and if pretty sure one of the guys who organized the project is called Dick Palmer. This is a serious handicap to overcome.

Of far more concern is the realization that people like Beagle are the tiny minority...who cares about sound quality? the priorities are the dancers, the firecrackers, the t shirt sales.The audiophile connoisseur or learning musician is simply not a demo graph we are prepared to cater too.I caught Steely Dan in Chch and neither they nor the support act were able to produce a defined low-end...which given the caliber of Musician on stage does suggest issues with the building itself.So, the building is best not for its audio properties but for it's size/ticket sales ratio. God that looks depressing.

Are Rock audiences turning into Classical Fans? we have listened to the CD so many times we cannot hear anything else but the recording when we engage in a live situation. The Death of Improvisation. I'm not suggesting this is the issue Steve raises I actually think I have watched one too many Documentaries. Um, hang on, our preconceived idea for the concert makes us programmed for the familiar. This comfort of familiarity ruins our ability to appreciate the very individual specifics of the performance.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:08 am

Funnily enough, I've heard from several people that the sound for Crowded House/Supergroove the other night was awesome.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:23 am

sorry to digress here - but on the same subject, the new copper bowl function room stuck on top of auckland museum is an ABSOLUTE SHOCKER acoustically - wall to wall glass with a tin roof - get outa here!, i couldnt even hear the speeches (thankfully) - yes acoustic considerations are always last(after the money runs out - whos money? - us rate payers) :evil:

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:52 am

Dan wrote:Funnily enough, I've heard from several people that the sound for Crowded House/Supergroove the other night was awesome.
A friend of mine went to that and said it was worse than Steely Dan. Not sure what position he was in though.

I wouldn't ever expect to get 'high fidelity' sound in an area that large foal... atmosphere is a lot of what it's all about. Steely D was still a great concert for that very reason. ... but I would like to be able to hear a reasonable balance of sound. i.e. Does not being able to hear any low mids at all sound reasonable to you? I might have just been the sound guy that night for all I know????

and should we settle for whatever we get??? If we didn't complain would it ever improve?

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:54 am

[quote="ryla"]wall to wall glass with a tin roof - get outa here!, quote]

geez... that sounds like a recipe for success. :roll:

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 pm

no it don't sound reasonable to me
and yes it could be the desk manner on the night

but I guess the uniformity of complaints I have heard leads me to think it is not the skills (or lack of) from the sound people.

as for complaining , yeah absolutely,silence can be construed as acceptance/tolerance.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:49 pm

It would pay to find the position in Vector that has the best sound, and try to get in quick and book seats there!!!! I still like the idea of not having a P.A at all, and giving everyone in-ears/wireless headphones so that they have complete control of the sound.

Something for the future perhaps? :wink:

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:55 pm

What a great idea Dan - my mate made sure he got good seats for the dan show (he had a REAL hassle with trying to book them) and he wound up having to look sideways to see the stage - top dollar-crap seats. :roll:

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:00 pm

Dan wrote:It would pay to find the position in Vector that has the best sound, and try to get in quick and book seats there!!!! I still like the idea of not having a P.A at all, and giving everyone in-ears/wireless headphones so that they have complete control of the sound. Something for the future perhaps? :wink:
Hey a couple of great ideas there mate. Wonder how the first one could be done... hmm.
The in-ears is an awesome idea. 8) There is no reason why they couldn't offer that now for people who were willing to buy some... except then they might have people outside the building listening or recording the concert 'in high fidelity'! he he

goatboy
Bronze Member

Post by goatboy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Great concept but hard to pull off if you're worried about piracy. The ideal system would be by encrypted digital broadcast and receiving headphones with decryption algorithims that will only work on the night and are supplied as you hand over your ticket at the venue. Digital radio receivers already exist but I'm not aware of any company that makes a headphone/digital receiver combo and I doubt (at the moment) that one could be manufactured cheaply enough to be a throw away at the end of the night.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:40 pm

Dan wrote:It would pay to find the position in Vector that has the best sound, and try to get in quick and book seats there!!!! I still like the idea of not having a P.A at all, and giving everyone in-ears/wireless headphones so that they have complete control of the sound.

Something for the future perhaps? :wink:

ha i was just imagining watching people dancing and really getting into it . would be funny if you didnt have any ear phone on

madmatt23
Bands / Groups: Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sevendust, Aerosmith, Live, 311, Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Breaking Benjamin, Ben Harper, Chevelle, Faith No More, Incubus, John Mayer, Linkin Park, Tool and so on....

Post by madmatt23 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:11 am

I have had different experiences at that place. Its a god send to finally have an all weather venue that most international acts will consider and although its realitively small it allows some artists some stationary time in one city while they do several shows. I complement the venue on its easy in and out access...well designed here...but i have seen the RHCP and was standing on the floor next to the desk...un impressed with the sound that night. I tend to enjoy drum clarity more than anything and that night was strange. Drums had only low end impact, bass wasn't defined enough, gat was crystal, lead vox were lost and funnily the backing vox from john were crystal??? And i was next to the desk??? Caught snowpatrol and that sound was okay...this time i was hard against the speakers so thats probably a give-in. Just saw Chris Cornell and Linkin Park last month and was seated just up to the side and slightly infront of the stage...and the sound was AWESOME! Huge impact...so i am confused?? :?

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:13 am

i saw RHCP (2nd night) and was sitting up quite high beside the stage - the sound was fine and i had a great view of the stage (without relying on big screens).

i dont know about the in ear monitoring idea - sounds very clean, safe and 'good' (fidelity wise) but damned if i want to go to a big rock (or other) gig and wear headphones! :shock: i want to feel the sound and atmosphere and not be overly concerned with fidelity (thats what the albums for!). :P

I heard that the Cure sound was shithouse though?

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:02 am

So good to have so many top bands coming over huh